- "You won't survive if you can't even defeat me."
- ―Xiuying to Ryo.
Xiuying Hong (Hànzì: 红秀瑛, Pinyin: Hóng Xiùyīng, On'yomi: Kō Shūei) is a Tai Chi Martial Artist and master of the Man Mo Temple in Scarlet Hills, Wan Chai, where she goes by the name of Lishao Tao (Hànzì: 桃李少, Pinyin: Táo Lǐshǎo, On'yomi: Tō Rishō).
Master Chen tells Ryo Hazuki to get into contact with her when he arrives in Hong Kong. Xiuying is well known and respected in the area. Additionally she and her brother Ziming Hong were both orphaned as children.
Personality & Character
Xiuying is an internal martial artist of an unspecified Tai Chi style and Bajiquan. She's the head of the Man Mo Temple. The full extent of her skills is unclear, but she has earned the rank of master at the age of 26. This makes her one of the youngest successors of a martial arts school. She either earned it through sheer talent or from family inheritance (many schools transfer their power to the next master based on relations and rarely about combat ability). Although young, she's well versed in Taoism, history, and internal martial arts, specializing in literary and martial arts. Xiuying is a very thoughtful person and always thinks ahead before taking action. She does not speak much nor does she show much expression, but she hides a great deal of sorrow in her eyes. Xiuying encountered Ryo at the temple and decided to help him on his quest to find Lan Di. Realizing he's far from ready to face Lan Di in mortal combat, she took him into the temple and trained in mind, body, and spirit in hopes Ryo can continue his journey with greater combat skill, patience, and having control over his anger for Lan Di.
Xiuying gives Ryo a place to stay and some work to do at the temple but is reluctant to help Ryo in his quest because she believes he is falling onto the wrong path. She tries to show Ryo this and that his skills are not good enough to encounter Lan Di with but her advice isn't enough to stop him. Xiuying comes to Ryo's aid numerous times, even going to Kowloon at one stage and saving him from Dou Niu. As Ryo leaves Hong Kong, she gives him half of a Yin Yang stone, not telling him that the other half is, or was, in her brother's possession.
Notes & Trivia
- Kenji Miyawaki designed Xiuying. He had a clear picture in his mind of her dancing in a moonlit night, that is why he made her outfit bright blue like it was reflecting the moonlight. She was also one of the first fully formed characters.
- Xiuying had been scheduled to be a young female martial artist ever since the game was in development for the Sega Saturn.
- Xiuying's zodiac sign is Gemini, year of the rat, and she has a A blood type.
- From Chinese 秀 (xiù) meaning "luxuriant, beautiful, elegant, outstanding" combined with 英 (yīng) meaning "flower, petal, brave, hero."
|Shenmue Wiki has a gallery for Xiuying Hong.|