What's Shenmue? was a special premier disc in Japan given to those who pre-ordered Shenmue, additionally another edition of the disc was given away in Famitsu, a Japanese gaming magazine. The only difference between the two is that the Famitsu version has an orange cover, as opposed to a blue cover. Due to a delay in releasing Shenmue in Japan, anyone who pre-ordered it was given this on the date it was intended to be released on. The game itself works like a demo of Shenmue, featuring Dobuita, a town in Yokosuka, although not all of it is accessible. You play as Ryo much like you would in the full game. The disc also includes 4 of the movies included on the Passport disc of the original Shenmue that explain aspects of the game
Ryo Hazuki is looking for Mr. Yukawa. He asks people around Dobuita such as Tom and Nozomi. He also encounters Enoki and has a QTE battle with him. He eventually finds Yukawa and chases him. They eventually end up at You Arcade. Ryo saves Yukawa from a attacker that wanted a "disk". After that, Ryo and Yukawa talk for a bit then Yukawa wakes up and realizes it was all a dream. His desk is surrounded with Dreamcast boxes. He looks up to see a poster of Shenmue on the wall and then makes a big effort to help sell the Dreamcast console.
Differences from actual gameEdit
- In the demo, Tom wears a shirt with a Skeleton dressed as Uncle Sam instead of the Tom's Hot Dogs shirt he wears in the actual game.
- In the demo, Izumi Takano appeared blocking the player from entering an area not accessible from the demo. But she really didn't make an actual appearance until Shenmue II.
- No Capsule Toy machines can be found in the demo.
- Enoki's twig in his mouth is lower than usual in the demo while in the actual game it's higher.
- Instead of chasing Jimmy in the actual game, Ryo chases Mr.Yukawa.
- In the demo when you press the X button, Ryo crouches down.