- "You must be Japanese. Watch out. Here in Hong Kong, you can easily get run over."
- ―Joy meeting Ryo
Joy (ジョイ Joi) is a young Chinese woman who can most often be seen around Aberdeen in Hong Kong, China riding her motorcycle.
Since her father trades with Master Chen, she and his son Guizhang Chen know each other very well and consider each other friends. As seen in Shenmue Side Story, Guizhang once rescued her as a little girl.
After she first meets Ryo Hazuki in Aberdeen she becomes interested in helping him out and does so on several occasions such as showing him to a place to sleep and getting him a job at the harbor. She and Wong follow Ryo and Ren to Kowloon and try to help them, but in the process, Joy is captured by the Yellow Heads, at which point Ryo sets out to rescue her. After being rescued, Joy decides to stay while Ryo goes to Guilin. She says bye to Ryo with Wong.
- Joy's eyes are blue for her in-game model but are brown in her renders.
- Joy's zodiac sign is Leo and she has a B blood type.
- Joy mentions the words "Hang-On" when picking up Ryo over at the Come Over Guest House, a plug of the same game.
- There is an extra scene where Ryo has a short flashback about Joy in Kowloon that is easily missed. Ryo must go up to her bike near the Tea Break Building in the Dimsum Qr. and press X to trigger the extra scene. This has to be done before Ryo gets caught by Dou Niu.
- If Ryo meets Joy for the first time at night, there will be no one in her way before she barges into Ryo with her motorcycle. She also will not say her spoken line "Get out of my way!" in that bit like she says during the day. Another noticeable difference in all of the scenes with Joy at night is that her motorcycle lights are flashing and lit.
|Shenmue Wiki has a gallery for Joy.|